Happy Summer to All! I hope you had a great winter, and I am sure you are quite happy
to see the warmer temperatures once again. It has been an incredibly wet spring and we
hope you are completing spring’s work in a timely manner. We are all hoping for a
successful growing season!
2019 Regional Event Update
The OYF committee has been busy working on plans for this year’s 2019 Regional Event.
The event will be taking place in conjunction with Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show in
Woodstock on September 10th. Here’s what’s taking place:
• An OYF luncheon with finalists, alumni, and sponsors will be taking place at the Special
Events Tent on September 10th at noon. This will be a great time to meet this year’s
• Finalist’s presentations will start at 1pm in the Special Events tent after the luncheon.
Please join us as we learn about these amazing people and their farm businesses and
achievements. It will be a most informative afternoon session that will be open to all
farm show attendees. The winner will be announced following the presentations and
we will have an opportunity for visiting and networking at this time.
• A formal dinner will be taking place at the Elm Hurst Inn in Ingersoll on Tuesday
evening to celebrate our honourees. Dinner tickets are $40 each. There are a limited
number of seats available for this dinner so reserve your ticket early.
• The OYF AGM will take place Wednesday, September 11th at 9am at the Elm Hurst
• The Elm Hurst Inn has a block of rooms set aside for our event. Please call them
directly at (519) 485-5321 to book your room with special pricing.
• To RSVP for the luncheon, free admission to the Farm Show, and to reserve your seat
for the formal dinner on Tuesday evening, please contact Christina Pyke by August
30th, at email@example.com, or 613-561-5824 (text friendly).
Ted and Wilma Smith’s Wedding Anniversary
Special Congratulations go to Ted and Wilma Smith on celebrating 40 years of marriage!
Ted and Wilma were OOYF recipients in 1990 and they have stayed active within the
OYF community for many years! Please join them on Saturday, July 13 at the
Sunderland Memorial Arena Hall from 1-4 for an anniversary celebration.
2019 National Recognition Event
Canada’s Outstanding Young Farmers National Event will be taking place December 4-
December 8, 2019 in Fredericton, New Brunswick. You are invited to take part as we
celebrate and network with Canada’s most progressive, young agricultural leaders! For
more details and an amazing promo video, please visit www.oyfcanada.com and click on
the Events page.
The 2019 OYF Committee
Co-Chairs – Jason and Christina Pyke Vice Chairs – Mike and Amy Cronin
Secretary – Dana Thatcher Past Chair – Cory Van Groningen
Treasurer – Steve Cooper John and Eadie Steele
Don’t forget → Summer BBQ – July 16th at Jordan & Alex McKay’s, Port Perry, ON
→ 2019 Regional Event, September 10th at 1pm at Canada’s
2018 National Recognition Event – Nov. 29 to Dec 2
Manitoba OYF, were certainly excited to welcome this year’s honorees, alumni and sponsors to the heart of Canada. Our host committee enthusiastically showed us just how diverse” Winterpeg” can be. They are to be congratulated on an excellent job of organizing a top notch event. Ontario was well represented with a large turnout of our alumni members.
Thursday began with lunch and a tour of Brazen Hall Brewery, one of Manitoba’s most popular microbreweries and voted best new restaurant in 2017. From there we proceeded to Fort Gibraltar in the heart of St.Boniface, here we embraced the strong roots of the French language within Manitoba. The last tour of the day is the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, it is the only National Museum outside the City of Ottawa. The CMHR is not only an architectural masterpiece it took us on a journey of inspiration the likes of which we have not experienced before. We can highly recommend a return visit to this awe inspiring, thought provoking museum. Rounding out this exciting day was a dinner in the South aisle of the Forks market. The Forks has been a meeting place for over 6000 years!
Some lucky alumni were fortunate enough to purchase tickets to a Winnipeg Jets hockey game against the Chicago Blackhawks. We were not disappointed with a fast scoring game in which saw the Jets beat the Blackhawks by a narrow margin of 6 to 5.
Friday’s program included the annual meeting and the presentation of the Motherwell Award to the very deserving Rod and Shelley Bradshaw from Alberta. The Forum topic was “Bridging the Gap in the Public Trust”. Guest speakers gave us much to think about in our efforts to connect with the consumer. As always the highlight of the day are the inspiring presentations by the honourees from the seven regions. The Gala banquet ended with the announcement that Alex and Jordan McKay were one of the National Winners. Congratulations to Willow Tree Farm!!!
Saturday’s tours took us out to the longitudinal center of Canada! Crystal Springs Hutterite Colony, a short drive south of Winnipeg was next. Crystal Springs is a 9000 acre colony which has diversified into manufacturing including that of wood pellet barbecues and the first combination wood pellet/propane barbecue. From there we traveled East to Marchand, Manitoba, home of Canadian Gold water bottling plant. Canadian Gold won a gold medal in best sparkling water and a silver in best bottled water in 2017. In addition to bottled water they also manufacture the hugely popular Pic a Pop. Then we headed to La Bass Holsteins where Jan and Tracy hosted us for a tour of their dairy operation. Finally we landed at Artel Farms, home of Grant and Colleen Dyck. Here we experienced a Manitoba “Social” and a “sure to be an amazing” dinner prepared by Manitoba’s Ben Kramer. Some of us even enjoyed a ride on the mechanical bull! We returned home happy that we met the challenge to “meet in the middle”.
We’re really looking forward to Fredericton New Brunswick from December 5 to 8th for the 2019 National event.
2018 Regional Event Update
The OYF committee is happy to report that the changes for the 2018 Regional Event were a resounding success. The event was held in conjunction with Canada’s Outdoor Farm Show in Woodstock on September 11th. Here’s what took place:
- An OYF luncheon with finalists, alumni, and sponsors was held at the Special Events Tent on September 11th at noon. Thank you to the numerous alumni that took the time to meet the new crop of finalists.
- Finalists presentations will started at 1pm in the Special Events tent after the luncheon. The portion of the event was open to all farm show attendees and we will need to add more seating for next year’s event. The winner was announced following the presentations. Please check out the “Current Winner” page for more details.
- A formal dinner took place at the Elm Hurst Inn in Ingersoll on Tuesday evening to celebrate our finalists. Again, thank you to the many alumni who welcomed the new finalists to the OYF family.
- The OYF AGM took place Wednesday, September 12th at 9am at the Elm Hurst. Due to the success of the holding the event at the new venue, it was decided to continue working with the Outdoor Farm Show next year.